Rochelle Campbell, DVM
Everyone is always told that chocolate is bad for dogs and cats, but why? Is one type of chocolate worse than another type? How much chocolate does a pet need to eat before there is a problem?
The main ingredient in chocolate that causes toxicity is theobromine, which is a methylxanthine. Caffeine is also a methylxanthine. When a dog or a cat eats chocolate in toxic amounts, an owner may observe a number of clinical signs including vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity/restlessness, and an increased heartrate. Sometimes an owner may even see muscle tremors, seizures and weakness. These clinical signs typically occur within one to four hours after chocolate ingestion and if a pet does not receive treatment, death may even occur.
Higher concentrations of theobromine and caffeine are found in baking chocolate and darker chocolates. Therefore, it takes less of these for a pet to become toxic if they ingest it. Whether or not a pet will reach toxic levels not only depends on the type of chocolate eaten, but also on the size of the pet. Presumably, a smaller animal will reach toxic levels of chocolate more quickly than a larger animal.
Be safe this holiday season!